Sunday, November 12, 2006

Working the Swap Meet, Costa Mesa, CA

My friend, Michele, at one point owned a custom card (as in stationary) store. She no longer owns said card store and consequentially now has a garage filled with all her old products. She was talking to me about her filled-up garage a few weeks back. Although I don't remember this, apparently I mentioned the idea of re-selling it. If I did indeed mention this idea I was most likely thinking a yard sale of sorts. Michele may have mentioned the swap meet herself and I was apt to say that it was a good idea and that I would help out if she needed me. Regardless, Michele called me last week to remind me that I was working the swap meet this weekend, and that I couldn't complain about it because it was my idea. Again, I don't remember specifically saying "You should do the swap meet" but since I can't account for everything I say at all moments and it was a new thing to do, I agreed.

The catch? 5 AM. On a weekend.




The above picture was taken at 5:45 AM of the rental truck. To be able to sell your wares at the meet, you have to be there no later than 5:45 AM to park in line and patiently wait your turn to enter and began setting up. I would like to mention that there are people who do this EVERY weekend**. Michele, Mari (who was also kind enough to assist in this venture) and myself waited patiently in line to enter and set up until 5:48 AM before we began to complain. I believe the first complaint was that the line wasn't moving and the second was that our boyfriends (the lucky bastards) were still sleeping.

But enter we did and we begun setting up. I would like to also say at this point that Michele was not lying or stretching the truth when she talked about the boxes and boxes of cards, stationary, and other assorted things she had stuck in her garage. From her reports we only scratched the surface of what she had.




So the day went on. And people came and bought and I mainly stood around with a glazed look in my eyes or bagged the items that people bought. I would like to say that if I ever do lose my job or just get fed up with this whole computer mumbo jumbo, I might have a career in bagging groceries. Not a profitable career, but a career none the less.



We closed up shop at 3 PM when the swap meet closed. We were all extremely exhausted but thankfully Patrick and Gunter stopped by to help box up what we didn't sell. Overall I think Michele did well but agrees that she won't be doing it again.


Michele and Mari

When Michele dropped me off at 4:30 PM, I took a much needed shower. I also applied 8 icy-hot patches to my calves as the last time I stood on my feet for 10 hours was ... uh ... damn, it's been awhile. I would probably guess bartending on St. Patrick's Day 1999. Kevin and I then went to the Harp where Michele rewarded her temp employees with cocktails.

Next week I hit the "big city" of L.A. for some karoke. Poor Kevin.

**CRAZIES! 5 AM! Every weekend! AHHHH!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

5AM?! On a weekend?! I can say that I do sympathize with you. Sort of. On horse show days, I am usually up around 5:30 or 6:00 depending on how far away the thing is. Let me tell you, that is way to early to be up on a Sunday. Hope your legs have recovered and have a great week!

Bethhead

Moe said...

8 icy hot patches appeared to do the trick. I would like to kiss the person who invented those stinky patches.

Anonymous said...

Hola!

Ooooh, the Swap Meet! They changed the name to the OC Marketplace, but it will always be the Swap Meet to me. I helped a friend with a stand there several times (when I was ten years old and able to wake up that damn early).

If you find yourself there again, don't forget to check out the veggie stand. Great deals on artichokes and avocados, etc.

Keep up the blogging! I've shared the link with a couple of people already. Don't worry - they don't know you!

Ed

Moe said...

LOL! Well at least they don't know me!

Yeah, the swap meet was fun, the worst part was trying to avoid spending all my money.

Anonymous said...

Oh my. Mo I love your blog. What would you say if I just told you it was your idea, and you never offered for real????? Just kidding. We really did talk about it and you really did offer. My gain. You are the best, and I NEVER could have done it with out you. For anyone reading this and might be considering setting up a booth at the swap meet... Let's just hope there is a LOT of $$$ in it for you. This venture is for those who want to 'go big or go home'. Maybe I will recover in a week or so. Mo, Mari, Gu, Patrick... Thank you SO much.
Now may I say I loved every minute with Mo & Mari. It is not everyday you get to see your friends whole personality over a 15 hour period.
m