Number one: When I first started the new thing every week, I never actually factored in the cost of doing it (a.k.a. True Cost). Honestly, the true cost never really crossed my mind for an iota of a second. And when Kevin reads that last sentence I promise you he will be nodding his head and rolling his eyes in absolute agreement. Obviously doing new things usually involves going places, and driving places, and spending a few Washingtons in the process. With that said, I have been searching around for cheap new and even better, free things to do. This is how we ended up at the Orange County Museum of Art on a Thursday night for what was described on their website as a "contemporary after-hours scene" of the Orange County Museum of Art, including a live DJ.
Number two: Not all new things turn out to be good new things.
The website stated that the mingle\music started at 7 PM on Thursday. We got there at 7:15 and noticed that the ‘museum’ was really a ‘well lit hall’ and that not too many people showed up. We also noticed that we were severely underdressed compared to everyone else in our jeans and sweatshirts. The biggest thing we immediately realized was that the museum wasn’t actually open…. and according to the front desk personnel, wouldn’t be for another few weeks. What we were attending was apparently a fashion show\fashion design competition\live DJ (which was a older man in a plaid flannel and trucker hat).
Well-lit hall
Yeah, Kevin wasn’t very pleased, and neither was I to tell you the truth.
We did spend some time in the museum’s gift shop which I find funny was open when the actual museum was not. But, whatever.
$50 art puzzles anyone?
We stuck around long enough to see a few models, have a glass of wine, convince the local radio station to give us a free t-shirt, and for me to take close to 20 not-very-well-lit photos of nothing in particular.
Enter in your own "I'm too sexy" joke here.
Then we went to Ralph’s. I took a couple photos of the cashiers at Ralph’s just to be obnoxious. The cashier on the left asked us where we were from as obviously no one local would take a picture of the inside of Ralph’s if we weren’t from out of state. They looked disappointed when we told them we lived across the street.
Warning kids! Ralph's checks IDs. And will evil-ly smile when doing so.
So all in all, this week’s new thing was a thumbs down. However, we did end up having a great weekend doing a whole bunch of been-there-a-hundred-times-before things like dinner at Mother India, brunch at Woody’s Wharf, pool at Balboa Saloon. I even cleaned the house.
I’m still not sure what’s on the agenda for this upcoming weekend but I think I’ll avoid anything with ‘fashion’ and ‘free live DJ’ for now.
Have a great week everyone!



5 comments:
This week's "new thing" may have sucked for you, but it was hilarious for us (your readers)! Always a fun read!
Hey cousin! Glad you enjoyed our misery. HAHA. It wasn't that bad but it certainly wasn't good.
Ahhhh....sigh....Mother India. You can never have that too many times. Well, maybe if you eat it for consecutive meals. Might do a number on the ole colon. But it is still mighty tasty. Sorry the museum sucked. Bet you and Kevin had a great time ripping on the models sacheting all around. Would have loved to hear some of your commentary.
We're off to MN tomorrow and then to FL on Thurs. Enjoy your week and weekends and I'll revist the blog on the 5th.
Bethhead
Hi Beth!
Have a great time in Minnesota (shopping) and Florida (getting a tan)!
If only you'd known what it was before you showed up! You could have dressed up as fashion snobs... I can imagine what that would look like.
Thanks for the laughs,
Ed
Post a Comment