Thursday, August 23, 2007

So, how you doing?

Oi. I am SO late with the next entry. I have half of it written out already but have had so many things going on recently that I haven't gotten around to finishing it. So, I think I will just give you a quick update to what the hell I have been doing while I take yet another day (and some) to give you my actual entry. It will, of course, be immediately followed with another entry, as so you can get your fill.

Most recently what I've been dealing with is a throttle position sensor that went out on my 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8s (I'm being detailed here so that people who look up throttle position sensors for their shitty 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8s on the internet will actually find some information, unlike myself). This means that when I step on the gas my car goes, "hmmm, I'm not sure I want to .... GO!" To fix the throttle position sensor, you have to go through the following tedious steps:


  1. Talk to your mechanic who tell you he's going to charge you $60 to hook up your car to a diagnostics machine to find out why your Check Engine light is on and your car sometimes won't go.
  2. Take your car to AARCO who will give you the diagnostics test (which will come up with the bad throttle position sensor error) but will tell you that they won't be able to fix it.
  3. Take your car to the mechanic who will tell you that he doesn't believe AARCO, but if you really believe that it's right, he'll put on the part for $60.
  4. Call up Nissan dealership. They will tell you that they have to order the part and you need to come in and pay for it before they'll order it.
  5. Go to Nissan dealership. They surprisingly have the part. You pay $128 for it and drive away happy.
  6. Drop off car at mechanic.
  7. Get call from mechanic who tells you it's the wrong part and it's used. Mechanic will have already called dealership to bitch them out.
  8. Go to dealership. Same sales guy will say, "Yeah, it's the wrong part" and will order you another one. Part will be delivered in 3 business days.
  9. 5 days pass, no call from dealership. Go to dealership because they have the part. Pick up part only to realize it's the same stupid fucking part you already have. Sales guy will say, "yeah, but this one is new"
  10. Insist to talk to Nissan mechanic. Nissan mechanic will look confused, mumble something about a non-existant recall then say "Oh yeah, you have to get the whole thing that part attaches to, not just that one piece"
  11. Whole Thing part not in stock. Nissan dealership tells you that there are only 3 Whole Thing Parts in the whole USA. Tells you that it will take 5 business days before it's in...and oh, it's $30 more dollars than just the throttle position sensor.
  12. 3 days later, part is in. Unfortunately you got suckered into working the 8-5 shift at work and won't be able to pick up the part until Saturday.
  13. DURATION OF STEPS: Look repeatedly online for new. fucking. car.


Actual entry is coming soon, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Moe,

I just feel so BAD for you! Car maintenance is frustrating enough without having to deal with so many pricks. My last car thingie was having the CV Boot and CV Joint repaired on my '98 Mazda Protege. CV Boot was torn for the longest time, and when that happens, dirt gets in the joint and lubricant escapes the joint. Joint wears out! If you don't know what a Constant Velocity Joint is, it's a kind of U-Joint. http://www.samarins.com/glossary/cv_joint.html

Anyway, I took the lazy way out and just asked the dealership "How much?" and they said $325, and I said "Do it."

Why did I take the lazy way out? Because I replaced the CV Joint on my 1993 Nissan Sentra once, and it took ALL DAY, like 12 hours, even with a buddy's help. I'm never doing that again.

Anyway, I'm off to comment on your other post. Be good!

Ed

Moe said...

Hi Ed,

Kevin's CV boot and joint when out on his 93' Tercel, which he replaced himself. I wasn't around (purposely) but I know it took awhile along with a lot of swearing.

Yeah, the dealership said they could fix it for $380. Buying the part and having the mechanic do it will only cost $200, though with all the trouble it's been, I should have just paid the $380.