Monday, February 11, 2008

Diva Dish - Brea, CA

There are three different ways I can start this entry. They are as follows:
  • Tell you about the weirdness of living in close proximity to Los Angeles (but not IN Los Angeles as I’ve tried to stress to people before) and therefore having encounters with more-than-NOT-famous people…
  • …or tell you about how growing up I used to be in a bunch of plays, both junior high and high school…
  • ...or the anecdote in which I mention how all my friends out here are older than me, that after I wrote it out, wasn’t even amusing enough to warrant a ‘hmmmm’.
But I'm not going to. Actually, I had written up 3 more very thought provoking bullet points of why I wasn't going to start with those things, but my hand did some weird force of nature twisty-bendy thing on the keyboard and I lost those thoughts forever. Don't worry, any bullet point that mentioned Harry Anderson from Night Court isn't worth re-typing.

So where does that leave us? It’s basically an entry without a beginning. Well there you go. This is what happens when I start to slack in my regular writing.

On Sunday afternoon (notice, I’m just going straight to the middle part) I went on Orange Country Register’s website, looked up events for that day that were less than 30 miles from my house, and decided that I would go to Brea to see a one man comedy tribute show to his mother called Diva Dish.

The website describes the show (in case you don’t feel like clicking that link and watching the little video) as:
  • Most people only get to see Hollywood stars on screen. Luke Yankee got to see them up close.

    As the son of Academy Award® winning actress Eileen Heckart, Luke Yankee got up close and personal with some of the biggest stars the world has ever known. This live, multimedia event is like a fabulous party with the biggest stars from Broadway and Hollywood.
It sounded fairly interesting and admittedly I haven’t seen a play in about 10 years so I figured why not. As well, I’ve never been to Brea (as it’s “inland”) so there was that too.

I ended up leaving the house an hour early so I could go grab something to eat before the show. I ended up going to the Cheesecake Factory. I’m telling you this so you don’t make the mistake of going to the Cheesecake Factory in Brea, CA on a Sunday afternoon and order the soup\salad\half sandwich plate. The salad was limp, the soup lukewarm, and the sandwich bread so tough it cut the roof of my mouth. I went ahead and ordered the cheesecake, because you know…the CHEESECAKE Factory…but found that it was frozen solid. I should have complained, but I didn’t. Instead I’m just going to pan the place on the internet for all the world to see.

Don't eat here please.

I didn’t have too much time after lunch to make it to my show, but thankfully the Brea Civic Center was practically in the same parking lot as the mall (and hence, the Cheesecake Factory).


This next picture has nothing what-so-ever to do with this entry, but if you click on it to blow it up, you can see one of the many reasons why I love California in winter. Palm trees with a backdrop of snowy mountain tops. Oh yeeeah. Because I know my dear friends and family in Wisconsin have been dealing with relentless snow (15 inches on Wednesday indeed!) and bone chilling cold (-7 this morning when I looked) I honestly (I do, I swear!) feel bad in mentioning the 80 degree heat wave we’ve had here the last few days. But it has been beautiful and it makes the sting of paying over double in rent to my WI counterparts a bit more bearable.

Wish you were here. No really, I do.

So yeah, the show….I don’t think I have to mention that I was the youngest person there by a fairly long shot. As well, I didn’t know the layout of the theatre and ended up getting a seat in the 2nd row on the aisle. The theatre was small enough that the 2nd row might as well have been ‘on stage’. Most of the show was rather entertaining (I really wish you’d click that link and watch the video because me trying to relate one of the stories isn’t going to cut it) but there were….a couple singing numbers. If you know me at all you have to know how much I hate musicals. And when the man started singing, because I was practically on stage, sometimes he would be looking RIGHT AT ME. Of course I was trying my best not to grimace (I really really HATE musicals) so I kept having to look away and stare at the floor. Which made my neck hurt. I can’t exactly go around panning (I like that word today) a show about a man’s dead mother can I? I’m not the devil you know. I liked the ‘dish’ about Marilyn Monroe. I liked the ‘dish’ on Lucille Ball. I liked the ‘dish’ on Ethel Merman. I hated the singing. I hated the ‘doing the last scene of some play with my dead mother’ with the use of modern technology. But since most of it was funny stories, it was good enough for me to sit through it all. I’d give it a solid 6 out of 10. Maybe a 7 if I was sitting farther back.

A very illegal photo I took of the stage I was practically sitting on.

I think I’m going to start a website called ‘Ban the Music in Musicals’. Anyone with me?

8 comments:

lachness said...

You dont even understand how jealous I am of your 80's.. i would sit through at least four musicals just to enjoy that weather. But for me to sit through six musicals it would have to get to at least -40 with wind.... oh wait thats what we had sunday!!

But you might be jealous that I just finished a famous daves dinner with dad. I can actually smell the bbq on my fingers as I am studying in the library.

Also we made a stop at walmart (the devil store) and I bought a "grow your own boyfriend" for one dollar! I have named him Viggo and I am very excited to start the relationship

lachness said...

Congrats on the new job!!!

Shannen said...

I am with you on the ban the music out of musicals thing, at least the singing. I can take a little dancing. That's funny you sat so close! Hope you didn't get spittled on along with the singing.

80 degrees sounds fantastic! How much was rent there again? Oh yeah, but definately worth it. Beautiful view with the mountains, wow.

Check your sitemeter---that one's me----weeeeeee! Only for a week. But not 80 degrees here, only about 75. Aaaah such is the life.

Moe said...

*Maggie*

You would sit through 4 musicals? Wow, it must be cold. I would scratch my eyes out and tear off my ears after the first one. Though Shannen is right, I don't mind the dancing so much.

I am a little jealous that you got to go out to dinner with dad...although not so much the BBQ. Did Dad do any Jello shots? Hee.

Please tell your new boyfriend, Viggo, hello for me. I'm sure you two will be very happy together in the years to come. Did you get my letter yet?

*Shannen*

If I checked my site meter I wouldn't know which one is you. I get hits from all over the world for that silly Paul Frank sale entry (people really love their Paul Frank I tell you). I'm excited to know! You will update your blog now, won't you?

Thank you for your support in the ban of music from musicals. Or maybe singing from musicals.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you sat through that at all. I watched the demo video and cringed through most of it. I think it was his voice I didn't like. And he sang? UGH.

I'm sorry, but I can't join you in the ban music from musicals thing because I happen to like them. The singers have to be decent though. Please don't think less of me.

I noticed your sister congratsed you on a new job? What's that about?

As a former Cheesecake Factory employee, I apologize for your bad meal. You should have complained, you really would have gotten something out of it. We would have never allowed that in WI.

80 huh? Maybe I'll come visit you in March instead of Amy and family in VA.

Wow, I was long winded. Talk to ya soon!

Bethhead

Moe said...

Hi Bethhead!

Yeah, his voice was a little annoying but I really was interested in the stories so I didn't mind so much. The singing though...OI.

Yeah, I know I should have complained about my Cheesecake Factory meal, and usually I do. Ever just get in a mood where you just don't want to make a fuss? Granted, I don't get that a lot, but it does happen. ;-)

Yes! I got a new job, I start Feb. 25th. Actually, today is my last day at my current job. I put in two weeks notice but they decided to let me go early (and pay me through the two weeks). I'd be excited if I didn't have frickin' jury duty next week.

80 degrees is short lived...we will be in 60 degrees again soon. But come out whenever you want!

Shannen said...

You got a new JOB?! WOW so what'll you do this week off? Enjoy! And tell us about your new job!

I just got back from Hawaii---yippee! The flight there was turbulent so I downed lots of $5 mini bottles of wine until it calmed down.

So many hits from the Paul Frank entry, that's funny. You should do some of that paid advertising if you are getting so many hits.

Looking forward to the next blog!

Anonymous said...

Moe,

Greetings from Colorado! Sorry so tardy - I've had this crazy support ticket this past week or two that has drained all of my excess time. No, it was a Content Manager problem.

Anyway, enjoyed the post. I usually err on the not-telling-the-mgmt-when-my-food-sucks side. Yes, it does mean I sometimes get a lousy meal and no one gives a damn. That was not a problem last night at Buca di Beppo's. Mmmmm... pesto salmon! Quattro al Forno baked pasta sampler! Garlic mashed potatoes! Giant salad! So dang good. Our server, Juan, had an accent so thick I thought he was italian. For sure, being 6'4", pale-skinned and bald-headed contributed to the fact that he did not look Cuban.

Now, as for musicals, well I don't go see them very often. But occasionally I do and I gotta say that there are a couple of songs in Les Miserables that are really great. That is an exception to the rule, though. I can't stand "Anything you can do I can do better" or "Surry with a fringe on top". Unless Billy Crystal is singing it.

Jury duty? Me too! On the 25th. I hope to go back to work on Tuesday and find an email bragging about how you love your new job. I know I really prefer life on the reseller side! Maybe we'll end up in the same Kofax Capture training classes, go to the same user events, etc. How annoying will we be, sitting in the training room goofing off? LOL, the Kofaxians will be lining up to pay homage to us!

Okay, catch you later,

Ed