So my dad didn’t win, he came in second. I expected this. By Sunday night (the end of the contest) my dad had 6567 votes! Thank you everyone! However, a late contestant came in on Thursday night and wound up with over 20,000 votes. I suspect the person who submitted this late entry cheated. I don’t fault this person from cheating if that’s what they did as in all honestly, I probably would have done the same thing if I had the programming skills and motivation to do so.
I was pretty pleased that my dad came in 2nd (the old fashioned way) and I looked forward to seeing his name in print today (hopefully that is, as a runner up). The contest rules (which have conveniently been pulled from the OC Register website) clearly stated that voting would end on Sunday and that the winner would be printed in the June 18th paper.
Guess what? I have today’s paper and you know what? No article. None. Nada. Zilch. Not even a mention of the winner, much less my dad. I happened to catch the web version of the article (also conveniently pulled from the website) on Monday afternoon but alas, no picture of my dad, not even a mention of his “advice”. Though the creepy dad who told his daughter, “As long you are under 100 lbs you’ll be alright!” was in there.
*Sigh*
If I wasn’t already down sick today, I sense I would be.
Thanks again to everyone. Hey! We tried right?
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



4 comments:
I think you should have lied about the advice he gave you. You can borrow the advice a more senior lawyer once gave me: "When you're out of ammo, the gun's slide will lock back like this. That's Nature's way of telling you that if you haven't put a cap in his ass by now, you're f*cked."
Alternatively, what another lawyer once told me: "Remember -- nobody talks, everybody walks."
That's a total bummer. I totally thought he was coming in at second place as well. I even sat at my own computer and voted for about 15 min. If I was a subscriber I totally would pull my order. BOO OC Register!
Bethhead
Grrr!
You worked hard to get him up over 6000 votes! I know, cause I gave him a few hundred and it took a long time! Then some bozo comes along and swoops away.
So, you say the article was written, posted online, and then vanished? And it didn't even mention the 2nd place finisher, mister Lach!? Travesty.
I suppose they were dissapointed that so few people submitted candidates...
Ed
Hi Ed, Beth and Mr. Fatwa!
Yes, it is sad that the article wasn't written. It's even more sad that I haven't gotten around to shipping my dad's present yet (sans newspaper article)! Damn the OC Register!
Post a Comment