Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Portland Trip: Day 2-4

Since I’ve been watching pictures of the wedding and reception and camping and general good time-ness flash endless on my laptop, I suppose I should get around to describing it. Sorry for the delay (Beth!).

Bux has been my friend since high school; sophomore year to be exact. It was English with Ms. Rhode and I sat in the front row between the two Jasons (which I have never in my life called them by). Long legged Bux to my left, long legged Soch to my right. I’m sure we worked on a few Macbeth projects together at some point, but the whole end result was that we became pretty good friends. It amazes me sometimes how some people stay with you well after the period of time that you knew them in has passed. Beth is one of them (kindergarten) and Bux is another. Since I have a habit of moving out of state (again and again), keeping in touch with people has never been easy. But somehow I kept in touch with Bux. I guarantee it was more the result of his efforts then mine, but it worked and there you go. Have I mentioned that Bux is 6’8”? He’s my tallest friend and incredibly huggable. That has no point to the story but I had to mention it. Anyhow, it was St. Patrick’s Day two St. Pats past when Bux sent me a little picture on my phone with a picture of his girlfriend. You could tell he was pretty proud as he’s never sent me a picture of his girlfriend before. About 10 months after that came the wedding invitation. I couldn’t have been happier for him. I was also happy to hear that it was an informal affair taking place in an Oregon campground. I hate panty hose, I really do.

Cape Lookout State Park

To pick up where I left off last time, Beth and I arrived at Lookout State Park around 4 in the afternoon…wearing nice clothes and full makeup. We said hi to everyone and had a beer, hoping that we would stay pretty long enough for everyone to see us pretty before we had to change and start the camping dirt on skin process. We lasted about 45 minutes and then I started to panic that all the good tent spots would be gone. So I changed into my two sizes too big jeans and my bad $3 on sale at Old Navy t-shirt and started pitching my borrowed tent next to a tree in the 2nd site (there were 5 sites in total in the group site). This decision turned out to work well for us (Beth pitched her tent next to mine) as the 2nd site was the gathering grounds for all the late night parties-short stumble from fun to bed.

Tents perfectly placed
Beth, Bux, and Lou

Soon after the tents were up, the wood guy (which c’mon, sounds a bit dirty, doesn’t it?) came around and bundles were bought. Then the fire started up and the cooking began. I like the below picture by the way…Beth and I had tried to start the fire and we were doing…OK, then Mr. I-used-to-be-a-boy-scout comes around and completely shows us up. The guy’s name was Terry, but I thought he looked like a Kent and called him such the entire time we were there. Not that he reads this, but sorry Terry-come-Kent. You were a good sport and a great fire starter.

Kent takes over...

Finally, Bux’s bride-to-be, Krissy, showed up and we paparazzi-ed her.


The bride to be

As the day wore on, more people showed up. Some old high school friends, some people I had previously met visiting Portland, and other people I had never met but who were all really cool. We ate and drank and talked. I’m not sure what time we went to bed finally but I’m sure I wasn’t the only one with a damaged head in the morning.


Diana, Jeff, and Beth

After breakfast and a shower, we all started to get ready for the wedding. It was to take place at the picnic grounds, overlooking the ocean…a short walk from the group camp site. Bux and Krissy had decided not to hire a professional photographer. There was really no need, every one of us had a digital camera and used it. The ceremony was nice (and short!) and the barefooted bride and groom were married (that is officially the corniest line in this post people). The reception was right there as well, with BBQ chicken and pulled pork, cupcakes, two kegs of beer and wine as far as the eye could see. Man, I’m not describing this well. Enjoy the pictures; I think you’ll get the gist.


Drinking beer at the ceremony...awesome!








By 6 PM we all, including the one remaining keg, headed back to the campgrounds. There was more of same eating, drinking, talking….and headache in the morning. It was a great time. Well, not the headache bit, but the rest of it.




Dog Butt!

After two days of dirt, Beth and I were anxious to get to our Portland hotel for a nice shower and cloths laundering. We said our good-byes, stopped for a much needed Starbucks fix, and headed to Portland.

Beth and Diana talk it out...whatever "it" is.

NEXT TIME….PORTLAND….

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! Oh to relive memories. I couldn't have told the story better. I still love that pic of Diana and I talking. I love that the color of the beer was captured. Happy working days. ugh.

Bethhead

Moe said...

Hi Bethhead!

I know...let's reverse time and do it all over again! This time, I will bring a smaller suitcase.

The picture of you and Diana is definitely one of my favorites.

Happy working days? Ugh is right. I just moved my cube so I'm sitting right by a window now. Its nice for daydreaming...

Got your text! Sounds like you had a good Saturday. We went up to Santa Monica for dinner and then were going to go see a band but we felt ill after dinner. Oh vell.

Anonymous said...

Moe,

What a great trip! And your friend BUX is brilliant for coming up with such wedding arrangements.

Sending wishes for many many happy years of marriagieness!

Ed

Moe said...

Ed,

It was definitely one of the most relaxed weddings I've ever been to. Which I really like. A lot. I'm just not a formal type of person. But you know this about me. I think.

How are you? I think I'm going to talk in short sentences all day.

Shannen said...

Very cool wedding! Looks like you all had a great time!

I think I might have camped there before. Is there like a big rock (hill?) separating the campground from the ocean with a little path to the left?? And a small stream running along the campground to the ocean??

Moe said...

Shannen,

I don't know about the little river, but there was a rock hill.

You've been everywhere, so I'm sure you have. ;-)

bux said...

Shannen, the Cape is to the south of the park. There is a very small creek in the capground, but not thru it, per se. It's pretty popular. Near Tillamook.
Thanks for the comments Ed.. woohoo!

Thanks for the story, Moe, I'll email friends the link and they can read it!