A couple of weeks ago Kevin and I were on our way to work when I made us stop at Starbucks. We didn’t have any clean travel mugs at home for my morning decaf and I was too tired to clean one out. You would think a person who has since switched to decaf wouldn’t exactly need their morning coffee, but I do. Maybe it’s the idea of coffee that gets me going, but regardless, I had to stop. The guy behind the counter was going painfully slow though I give him props as it appeared that he was the only one who showed up for work that morning. I had plenty of time to look at the most recently overpriced pounds of Columbian and $16 travel mugs that aren’t dishwasher safe. I also noticed a pamphlet for the OC Aids Walk. Normally I avoid pamphlets like the plague, but this one caught my attention as a benefit\volunteer thing is something that I’ve been meaning to do for awhile.
When I got to work I immediately signed up for the walk online. Please don’t tell my boss I was online looking for something non-work related. I also used the company email to ask co-workers to sponsor my walk by donating some funds (probably gotten from said job) to the site as well. Quite a few of my co-workers did indeed sponsor me so not only did said co-workers go online for non-work related material but also responded back to me using company email to tell me that they did. Please don’t fire me or my good hearted co-workers Boss. It was for a good cause. You should fire Tom in Accounting for looking at porn. Just kidding, we don’t have a Tom in Accounting.
Anyhow, through my co-workers, family and friends, I managed to raise $185 dollars of my $200 goal. Thank you friends, family and co-workers, you are awesome!
All I had to do was actually DO the walk, which was 5 miles. When I signed up it didn’t cross my mind that walking 5 miles would be a challenge. It’s walking after all. I figured a day at Sea World would equate to more mileage on my sneakers than a 5 mile walk would. Then I started telling people about the walk and they started looking at me like it might be hard.
“Have you been training?”
“Um, not really. I mean, I walk every day. Didn’t you just see me walk from my desk to the printer? ….and then back again?”
“You better start training.”
“Honestly? You really think so?”
“5 miles is longer than you think.”
“Well, I guess…”
When the day of the walk approached, I was a little bit nervous. 5 miles. In my head, 5 miles started seeming like 500 miles, and wouldn’t I be more comfortable if I brought a sleeping bag just in case I only make it half way?
I got to Angel’s stadium an hour before the walk was supposed to start. Since I was by myself, I just wandered around looking awkward for hour or so, checking out booths, having some lemonade and listening to the announcers announce how much more money everyone else there made than me. I finally stood right by the start line watching the marching band set up and the Army march on by.
Church or Lube? Hard choice if you ask me.
At 9:20 AM, we were off. I walked for awhile with the band and watched as the Army ran by. Show-offs.
All in all, it was a great experience that I am sure that I will do again. Now if you’ll excuse me, the episode where Mary goes blind is on. Send tissues.



8 comments:
So...in this church-lube picture...Which side are the 3 people in the middle? Church-side or lube-side? I'm just curious why the guy in the middle needs a yellow balloon to keep his pants up.
It is not good to put too much lube on your pants before getting dressed.
...or maybe he's just very devout?
k-pet:
The 3 people in the middle are OBVIOUSLY on the lube side. Helloooo...balloon. Or should I say mule? He'll go to church later.
Well, I think it's AWESOME that you got to walk on the field at Angel Stadium (of Anaheim per the contract). And it looks like you got to be on the Jumbotron at some point or other! Woo-hoo! Angels Props!
So did you have to turn in the money there, or what? Is $185 your final tally?
Ed
Hi Ed,
I was on the JumboTron actually! First time in my life no less. I looked...TERRIBLE.
All my donations came online so I didn't have to turn in anything, they already had it. $185 was my final total.
Ugh, so if I'd - Idunno - actually clicked the link you sent me, then I would have figured that all out. Well, I just donated some money to cystic fibrosis, so I guess I don't feel too guilty.
Anyway, I was looking closely at your photo just after the walk started - and I wonder why you weren't with the Cal State Fullerton Party Team!
Ed
Ed,
Yes, clicking the link would have helped out a bit on the cause. I can't believe Roger coughed up some dough and you didn't. lol. Just giving you a hard time.
You know, I didn't even REALIZE the Party Team was there until you pointed it out! DAMN! Another missed opportunity.
Congrats!! Well done! And cool about walking in the stadium. I would have to agree with your crushed lava rock theory.
I break apart at stupid things, too, once for an episode of the Partridge family (ugh).
Today's Sun., I wonder if you're doing your next activity right now at this very moment?
Hi Shannen!
No, as a matter of fact I wasn't doing my new thing on Sunday. I was cleaning. Wee! Go cleaning! EXCITING CLEANING! WOOO!
Now compare that to what you did this weekend. Scuba diving? Hippo wrestling? Lava surfing? hee.
Post a Comment