Kevin and I heard about the fire up in 
Sunday night I was at home nursing my cold\sinus infection watching a bad movie I bought for $1.99 on Pay-Per-View (it was called ‘the Gold Diggers’…a PG rated movie with Cristina Ricci about two 13-year olds searching for gold in a mountain) (no matter how I phrase that it sounds bad, doesn’t it?) when Kevin called me up. He was out at our friends’ house having dinner and noticed some smoke on the horizon. He wanted to know if the news had anything about it.
Truthfully, I was so engrossed in my bad movie that I didn’t even notice the smoke. I walked outside and saw it immediately. The sky was black and orange and it smelled like a campfire. I went on the internet and saw that 
I closed all the windows in the house as I didn’t want the smoke to get inside. However, the 
Kevin made it to work the next morning but I was still at home with my cold\sinus infection. With Kevin’s asthma and my cold\sinus infection just trying to breathe normally was hard. At work, they let any non-essential personnel leave and work from home.
As bad as it is, I feel very fortunate. We aren’t in any immediate danger. As I told my mom last night, we may be 15 miles from the fire, but there’s a lot of concrete from there to here. The worst we have to deal with is cleaning the layer of soot that has covered the backyard.
It’s Wednesday now, and the



5 comments:
Okay, I admit, I was one of those people who wanted to call you but I thought that you were too far away to even make my worries justified. Now I think you made them a little worse. I didn't realize you were so close. Yeah yeah, concrete. Ash and smoke can still make your life miserable.
One mile from your job huh? Are you hoping it burns down like most of us dream but never really want to come true? Yikes!
Dave's ex, Paula, has a sister that lives out there that is actually part of the evacuees. Not sure where she had to go, but she had to leave her home.
The up side to this situation is that you can actually use "Caught in a forest fire" as your new thing this weekend :)
Stay Safe!!!!!
Bethhead
Hi Bethhead!
You need not worry, we are staying safe. I appreciate the concern though! Even my little brother and sister called to check up on me. ;-)
I think now the fires are more than 10 miles from where we are working. A new one just started yesterday where we went camping a couple weekends ago.
*and yes...I may have had a little teensy itsy quick (somewhat evil-ly happy) thought about work burning down...but dismissed it later as going for interviews suck. Oh, and I don't want to wish destruction on anybody, so on and so forth*
;-)
Glad to hear you are ok, but the smoke must be awful! I admit your photos gave me a giggle, they're pretty dramatic. But it must be a little scary to be so near so much destruction, makes you thankful for all the concrete! Hope they can control and put it out soon!
Shannen,
The photos are pretty dramatic! If I took actual photos of the soot in our backyard, it would be boring (not to mention, you wouldn't be able to see the soot).
Honestly, it's not scary at all. We aren't in any danger. I do feel for all those who have lost their homes tho.
did you take these pictures???
Post a Comment