This weekend Kevin and I were broke. Like really broke. Like almost considered selling off the CD collection and breaking into change jar for groceries broke. But I was really in the mood for some Chicken Mahkani, which is pretty common of me to want something right at the time when I can least afford it. So I decided that I would make my own Chicken Mahkani, which I have done before but never the proper way, which is to use Tandoori Chicken. Now granted, I still couldn’t make Tandoori Chicken the way one is suppose to do it (clay oven), but I do have a BBQ grill. Clay Oven, BBQ Grill…close enough (there’s a country in Asia right now fainting at the thought).
Surprisingly, we already had most of the ingredients in the house from the last time I tried (and ‘tried’ really is the appropriate word here) so all I had to buy was the world’s most expensive chicken breasts, some yogurt, bit of ginger, and a lemon which I didn’t even use.
I first cut up the chicken into bits and soak it in a bit of lemon juice and salt. Meanwhile, Kevin mixed together all the other marinade things, except for the food coloring, which I insisted that I do just because it would be fun. Yes, I have a weird sense of the word ‘fun’.
After applying the marinade to the chicken bits, I left it in the refrigerator for what seemed like eternity. But in real life time, it was 24 hours. Believe me when I say, when you want Chicken Mahkani, 24 hours IS eternity.
My fridge, in case 'Cribs' ever wants to come to my house.
The next day I started the grill. I am embarrassed to say that after two and a half years of living in California I have become accustomed to always being able to grill outside (without freezing my ass off). It’s a luxury I take for granted. This is the round about way of me saying I’m sorry it snowed on your Easter. If it makes you feel any better, we’re in a drought which means that this summer the entire state of California will burn down to the ground that will also mean it will be uncomfortably hot (fire=hot) and we don’t have an air conditioner…or a hose big enough to handle a fire that size.
Grill and the tomato plants that can't grow fast enough.
Where was I? OH YES, the grill. So I threw the marinade pieces of chicken on there and once they were properly cooked, I began calling it Tandoori.
My name is Earl, uh, I mean 'tandoori chicken'.
From there I made the Mahkani sauce.
Ah! How many of you have Kasoori Methi in your house? OK, how about know what it is?
As you can see from the picture below, includes Asia’s ration of butter. I understand that Mahkani can also called ‘Butter Chicken’ but DAMN.
Asia's going to be pissed.
After the butter melted, I threw in everything else and let it simmer awhile. I did come to the realization that a wok probably wasn’t the best instrument to use for this as simmering Mahkani means splattered Mahkani all over stove, countertop, floor, Moe, glass of wine besides stove, cat, and I think even one of the smaller countries in Asia.
So this is the finished product. I was a bit disappointed in the sauce (which means I’m STILL in the mood for Mother India) but the Tandoori Chicken was fantastic.



7 comments:
Mmmmm. Mother India. I tell you, that is one of the things I am looking forward to when I go out there. Ever since you took me there for the first time, I have become a big fan of Indian food. The place over here for good Indian is The Tandoor. Now I might have to get some Chicken Saag (I think that's what I like) this weekend.
Bethhead
Hi Bethhead! I'm glad you enjoy Mother India as much as I do. And I've been to the Tandoor before (Hwy 100, right?)...their buffet is excellent.
I will definitely take you back to Mother India when you come out in May.
I loved Mother India, too! But the thing I most remember about eating there was you and Kevin asking for extra rice and mixing it all up to take home (more countries in Asia would faint at the prospect, I'm sure of it)
Indian food would be really hard to make, congrats!
Coz!
I'm sure the employees at Mother India hate giving us extra rice as well. I'm sure I've come away with some extra spit, if you know what I mean. But oh vell!
Little sis! That's too funny! That definitely sounds like something I would write. I still have all your letters too though I'm not as organized and they are scattered in various locations. We'll have to get together in 30 years and read them together. HAHA.
Next time you are out I will take you to Mother India. I hope you're able to get to CA this summer. :-)
Hi first time on your blog:) Iloved the Makhni sauce you made:) What a deep rich color :) The tandoori chicken is come out too good:) I have yet to make Chicken Makhni , Iam tempted seeing your blog:)
Roopa,
Glad you enjoyed the post. The dish turned out OK but certainly not as good as what I get in local eateries with professional cooks!
Have a good day!
-Moe
Post a Comment